Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

I love Whitney.

Since the sitcom Whitney premiered, the response to the show has been very divided. There seems to have been a lot of hate thrown towards the show for no apparent reason (making it seem the title of the show should be Taylor Swift), while others of us love it. I think it has really found its footing this season (I think this is something you are suppose to say when a show has gotten better over time). Watching last night's episode, where Whitney and Alex take a honeymoon trip to Alex's parents' cabin, I realized how much I have come to love the show. I really hope it gets another season. Now, aside from having some relatable characters (a woman who is basically unemployed, but has a blog she's enthusiastic about? Raise your hand everybody.), I love the dialog between Whitney and Alex and in particular how the two actors deliver it. They have great chemistry, which was really apparent in last night's episode. I also like how last week's episode dealt with Whitney's sister revealing she is transgender and is going through the steps to become a man. Seriously, how often do we see a topic like that dealt with on mainstream television? And it wasn't done in a mocking way, but was heartfelt and genuine with a bit of humor. Now, back to the dialog, here are some of the lines from last night's show that show exactly why I love it:

-"You look like a foreign flag to a country no one wants to visit." This is in response to Alex's 80's sweatsuit (speaking of, remember when Nelly released those two albums, one titled "Sweat" and the other titled "Suit"? That was...).

-"People think when you're not with me we're having problems."
"That doesn't make sense. It's when we're together that we have problems."

-"Why don't we stay in all weekend and watch the prequel to Breaking Bad?"
"Malcolm in the Middle?"
"Yes!"
This is a joke I feel not everyone watching understood, but if you did, it was excellent.

-Vegas? Am I not spending your money fast enough in Chicago?"

-"We're gonna have a lot of alone time, so you better bring extra birth control pills."
"Ok, so you just have NO idea how that works."
So it's not just Rush Limbaugh that doesn't get it. It may be all men. Yet they feel they should make our reproductive decisions? Sorry, rant over.

-"A lake house, that sounds fun. Well, fun-adjacent." 

-"When did you guys get married?"
"Yes and no, we actually got tattoos instead. You probably saw mine while I was getting searched at security."
If you've seen the season 1 finale, you know that they got matching "I do" tattoos on their torsos. They're adorable. Plus, that is totally more binding than a marriage contract.

-"Somebody left the window open. That's a great way to let bats in." 
"Bats? You mean baby vampires?"
WHO HASN'T THOUGHT THIS BEFORE??

-"Between the bats and the murderers, I'm gonna leave here with no blood." Cabins are scary. Too many horror stories have taken place there.

So, if any of these quotes made you laugh and you haven't seen Whitney yet, please take a look. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!


UPDATE: Whitney's been cancelled. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment