Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

Supporting Women in the Arts

Today I was thinking about some of the "things" that I have been enjoying lately and that make me happy. These are also what I turn to when I need some uplifting because life is trying to push me down. When I made a list, I realized a common thread among them- they are all women-led art. This made me even happier. I have always supported women's work in the arts, but I had never stopped and realized the extent that I unconsciously do and how greatly it has informed my life and become a part of it. Here are just a few of the many women or women-led projects I support and adore:

Amy Schumer- She makes me laugh. Her comedy special had me in tears and her show on Comedy Central is hilarious. It takes a lot to offend me comedy-wise and people seem to get more easily offended by women comedians, but I love when women are as brutal, honest, and raunchy as men. I can't relate to boner jokes. Sarah Silverman is another one of my favorite comedians and also one of my favorite people in general. She's intelligent and thoughtful. If you watch her most recent comedy special, or even just follow her on twitter, it is easy to see how great she is and a necessary voice in today's society.

Camp Takota- I am a fan of Grace Helbig, Mamrie Hart, and Hannah Hart's YouTube videos and seeing their hard work and collaboration is really inspiring. Plus, they seem like people you could be friends with. Supporting their shows and new projects and seeing their growth creates a community among their viewers and shows the strength of female content-creators.

Nina Nesbitt- a female musician I came across last year whose music I love. She writes all her songs, plays multiple instruments, and is just really talented. I love when I come across new musicians who are just genuine and honest.

The Mindy Project- this is one of my favorite shows. Mindy Kaling seems to to be able to tap into things about women that you do not see often in other shows. There are so many throw-away jokes as well, that you need to watch an episode more than once to catch them all. This has become a quote-worthy show for me.

Girls- This season is rocking and every episode seems to be getting better and better. I think I need an 'I Heart Lena Dunham' t-shirt.

Saturday Night Live- As usual, the ladies are killing it on SNL and I enjoy the sketches where they are left to shine. Between Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon, and Cecily Strong, it is a good time to be a woman on SNL.

So I realized I was happy because I was supporting people's work that I can relate to. Representation is important and hearing women's voices in the arts is undervalued. I think women do community and collaboration the best, yet we are always made out to be angry and bitchy towards one another. Watching these amazing women speak to what it is like to be a woman and showing the depth and intelligence that seems to get taken for granted with women is inspiring. Watching them succeed makes up for hearing things such as the professor who won't teach novels written by women in his college literature class... With International Women's Day having just passed I keep thinking about how we've come so far, but still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment