Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Olympics Obsession

I love the Olympics. I am usually obsessed with them and try to watch every single minute. I imagine this is because it is exciting to watch athletes at the top of their respective sport compete with each other. Also, there is usually more ups and downs and happiness and drama than most forms of entertainment. And we can never predict what is going to happen. However, with the Sochi Olympics, I have had a really difficult time being excited about watching them. I have diligently still tuned in every night and been watching during the day and online, but it just feels different this time. I am not sure if it is because of the controversy surrounding the host city that has made it disappointing or the reaction from the (often not full) crowds to only cheer for fellow Russians. But there just seems to be no excitement with these games.

A couple of additional notes:

One of the things I have been disappointed with is the NBC coverage. Just to give one example: not showing at least one of the skating routines from the first black figure-skating pairs team in the Olympics. I mean, seriously. Big fail NBC. Look how awesome they are too:


Speaking of figure-skaters, Jason Brown has easily become my favorite Olympian this time around. He is so bright, enthusiastic, and talented. I am excited to watch him in the future and also want to tune into other skating competitions to see him compete.


Finally, speaking of Olympians I like, I have decided that my Olympic crush is the Snowboarding and Slope Style skiing teams. Yes, it is not limited to just one person, but the whole team. Aside from these becoming my favorite sports to watch in the Olympics (in all its forms), they seem like the athletes with the most camaraderie and happiness. Also, they are adorable. Olympic talent, happy personality, and total cuteness. They are completely crush-worthy (if, in some cases, too young for me. Minor details, people.).


Overall, I have enjoyed the figure-skating, snowboarding, and skiing, but I really hope the games four years from now are something that is exciting to watch again. I want my Olympic obsession back!

No comments:

Post a Comment